Thursday, April 3, 2008

Restaurant Review : Victor's Restaurant

So I read about this place in the Salt Lake Tribune and Rachel and I decided to go and check it out. It was a very interesting place to eat. It all got started with Victor opening up a tire store. His wife started making tamales to give to people while they waited and that ended up growing and opening a restaurant in the tire store.
Well we went last night. It is located west of I-15 so you know it's in the "other" side of town. It is also located in the industrial part of town. Needless to say it made Rachel a little nervous. But we show up and go inside and we were the only white folk around and most of everything was in Spanish. That's how you know it will be authentic. But they have 12 different types of tamales and some other Mexican dishes. We ordered some tamales, a bag of mangoes, and I got a Mexican Coke (made with cane sugar instead which is better). WE LOVED THEM. In fact, we ordered a dozen more to go. It was really good and their green cilantro salsa is freaking great. And it's cheap! The only gripe that we have is you don't quite know how great the sanitation is there, being a tire store restaurant, but sanitation has never been a big problem for me.
Bottom line : Check it out.
51 S. 1000 West, Salt Lake City
Open Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 7:30 p.m

No comments: